Lucky New Year's Black-Eyed Pea Stew Recipe
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups finely shredded napa cabbage
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 pound ham hocks
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- salt to taste
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen black-eyed peas
- 1 ½ cups basmati rice, well rinsed
- 3 cups water
step 1: Heat the oil in a deep pan or stockpot set over medium-high heat. Stir in the onions and garlic, and cook until transparent, about 5 minutes. Mix in the Napa cabbage; toss and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the ham hocks, cayenne pepper, bay leaf, Cajun seasoning, and salt, stirring for 2 minutes more. Pour in the chicken stock and black-eyed peas. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook uncovered for 2 hours.
step 2: Meanwhile, place the rice and water into a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until all liquid is absorbed and rice is light and fluffy, about 20 minutes.
step 3: Before serving, remove the ham hocks from the pot. Coarsely chop the meat, and return to the black-eyed pea mixture. Serve hot over Basmati rice.