Luscious Chicken Casserole Recipe
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 ½ pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
- 1 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 (2 ounce) jar pimento peppers, drained and chopped
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 1 ½ teaspoons celery seed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- garlic salt to taste
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 (2.8 ounce) can French-fried onion rings
step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium casserole dish.
step 2: Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place chicken in skillet, and cook 10 minutes, or until juices run clear. Drain, and transfer to the prepared casserole dish. Mix with mayonnaise, water chestnuts, pimentos, almonds, celery seed, and lemon juice. Season with garlic salt to taste. Layer with cheese, and top with French-fried onion rings.
step 3: Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until cheese is melted and onion rings are lightly browned. If rings start to get too brown, put foil on casserole or lower oven rack. Watch carefully, or onion rings will burn.