- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup coarsely shredded carrot
- salt to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes
step 1: Place eggplant in a colander, lightly salt, and leave to drain for about 45 minutes.
step 2: Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add eggplant, red and green bell peppers, onion, and carrot; stir to coat. Reduce heat to low, and cook for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until mixture resembles the consistency of coarse jam. Season to taste with salt and red pepper flakes.
step 3: Cover, and chill at least 1 hour. Serve chilled as a condiment with your favorite bread or crackers.