Marinated Artichokes and Mirliton Recipe
- 3 (8-ounce) mirlitons (chayotes)
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke bottoms, drained and sliced crosswise
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup low-salt chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun-Creole Seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (2 ounce) bottle diced pimento, drained
- Boston lettuce leaves
step 1: Peel mirlitons; cut in half lengthwise, and discard pits. Cut mirliton halves lengthwise into slices. Steam mirliton slices and artichoke bottoms, covered, 40 minutes or until tender. Cool.
step 2: Combine vinegar and next 7 ingredients (vinegar through pimento) in a large bowl; stir with a whisk.
step 3: Add vegetables to vinegar mixture; toss well. Cover and marinate 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Spoon into a lettuce-lined bowl, if desired. Serve with a slotted spoon.