Mayan Chicken Recipe
- 4 (10 ounce) chicken pieces, skinned
- 2 tablespoons salted red achiote paste (see note above)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (8 ounce) green bell pepper, rinsed, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) onion, peeled and chopped
step 1: Rinse chicken and pat dry. Rub achiote paste all over chicken. In a bowl, mix tomatoes, lemon juice, ginger, garlic, thyme, salt, cumin, oregano, and pepper; add chicken and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 3 hours or up to 1 day.
step 2: Pour oil into a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add bell pepper and onion and stir often until limp, about 10 minutes.
step 3: Add chicken and its marinade to pan and bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer until chicken is no longer pink at the bone (cut to test), about 10 minutes. With tongs, transfer chicken to a wide, shallow serving bowl; pour sauce over chicken.