Mediterranean Onion Tart Recipe
- 1 (1 pound) loaf frozen white or whole wheat bread dough
- 3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or thyme leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 (2 ounce) cans anchovy fillets, drained
- 10 oil-cured Greek olives, cut in half and pitted
step 1: Thaw bread dough as directed on package. Lightly grease cookie sheet.
step 2: Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Stir in onions; reduce heat to low. Cover and cook about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are very tender. Stir in basil and white pepper.
step 3: Flatten dough into rectangle on lightly floured surface. Roll dough with floured rolling pin into 14x11-inch rectangle. Place on cookie sheet; let stand 15 minutes.
step 4: Spoon onion mixture evenly over dough to within 1 inch of edges. Arrange anchovies in lattice pattern on onions. Top with olives. Let stand 15 minutes.
step 5: Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown.