Mediterranean Salmon Cakes with Cucumber Sauce Recipe
- 2/3 cup diced cucumber
- 2/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Salmon Cakes:
- 1 (14.75 ounce) can red salmon, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
step 1: To prepare sauce, combine cucumber, yogurt, dill, and garlic in a small bowl.
step 2: To prepare salmon cakes, remove bones and skin from salmon. Place chickpeas in a medium bowl; partially mash chickpeas with a fork. Stir in salmon, breadcrumbs, and olives. Combine parsley and next 5 ingredients (parsley through egg whites) in a small bowl; stir into salmon mixture. Divide mixture into 12 equal portions, shaping each into a 3/4-inch-thick patty.
step 3: Heat 1-1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 6 patties; cook 4 minutes. Carefully turn patties over, and cook 4 minutes or until golden. Repeat procedure with 1-1/2 teaspoons oil and remaining patties. Serve with sauce.