Mexican Pocket Bread Tostadas Recipe
- 4 pocket breads (6 to 61/2 in.)
- 1 (16 ounce) can nonfat refried beans
- 6 ounces sliced grilled chicken breast or sliced grilled tender beef steak (see notes)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 cup shredded light or regular Mexican blend cheese or shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 3/4 cup tomato salsa
- Salt and pepper
step 1: Arrange pocket breads slightly apart on a 14- by 17-inch baking sheet. Spread 1/4 of the beans evenly on each round.
step 2: Top beans equally with chicken, onion, chilies, and cheese.
step 3: Bake in a 425 degree regular or convection oven until pocket breads are crisp and cheese is melted, about 8 minutes (6 minutes in a convection oven). Transfer each round to a plate. Mound cabbage equally on rounds and top with cilantro. Serve tostadas with salsa and salt and pepper to add to taste.