Mexican Rice Pilaf Recipe
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups instant brown rice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
step 1: In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in broth, rice, chili powder, jalapeno peppers, and cumin. Cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer for 4 minutes. Stir in bell pepper. Cover. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
step 2: Stir tomato and shredded cheese into hot cooked rice.