Mike's Drunken Mussels Recipe
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 lime, juiced
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapeno peppers (optional)
- 2 pounds fresh mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
step 1: In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Cook red pepper and onion in oil, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
step 2: Stir in tequila, water, lime juice, fresh pepper and jalapenos. Bring to a boil, and dump in the mussels. Sprinkle the cilantro over the mussels, and cover with a tight fitting lid. Allow to steam for 3 to 4 minutes, or until all mussels have opened (discard any that don't).