Mild 'Sweet' Tomato Sauce with Elbow Macaroni Bake Recipe
- ½ pound lean ground beef
- ½ pound ground pork
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 4 ounces canned mushrooms
- 1 carrot
- ¼ teaspoon white sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ pound elbow macaroni, cooked
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
step 1: Cook beef, pork, onion, and garlic in hot oil until onion is golden. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, mushrooms, carrot, salt, pepper, and sugar, and simmer 15 minutes.
step 2: Remove the carrot and throw away--it is just there for sweetness.
step 3: Alternate layers of macaroni, cheese, and meat in greased 2-quart casserole. Sprinkle top with cheese.
step 4: Bake in a 350 degree F (175 degrees C) oven for 45 minutes.