Minced Beef with Black-Eyed Beans Recipe
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 3/4 cup water, divided
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 pound minced beef
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1/8 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped green chile peppers
step 1: Heat oil in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and saute until light golden, then throw in the garlic, and cook for 1 minute. Put in 1/4 cup of the water and tomato, then season with salt, red chili powder, cumin, and turmeric. Simmer for 1 minute.
step 2: Add beef and cook for at least 10 minutes, adding another 1/4 cup of the water when it gets dry. When the beef mixture is dry, pour in the black-eyed peas. Cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup of water, and reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer until all of the water has cooked down, and you can see the oil.
step 3: Remove from the heat and mix in the garam masala. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle the lemon juice, cilantro, and green chilies over the top.