Miss Betty's 24 Hour Lettuce Salad Recipe
- ¾ pound sliced bacon
- 1 large head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- ¼ cup sliced onion
- ¼ cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1 cup mayonnaise, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 4 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley for garnish
step 1: Spread the lettuce out on a large serving dish or bowl. Sprinkle the onion, celery, water chestnuts and frozen peas (unthawed) over the lettuce in layers. Spread mayonnaise over the top like a frosting. Sprinkle with sugar and grated cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
step 2: Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
step 3: Before serving, sprinkle crumbled bacon over the top, and garnish with tomato wedges, slices of hard-cooked egg, and parsley.