Miss Hattie's Apple Pie Recipe
- 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
- 12 unpeeled Granny Smith apples, cored and quartered
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
step 1: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C.)
step 2: Shred the apples into a large bowl. Stir in sugar, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Mix well and place in bottom crust. Dot the top with 3 tablespoons butter.
step 3: On a cutting board, place rolled out (or packaged) pie crust. With a leaf or apple cookie cutter, cut shapes from the pie crust. Position the cutouts all over the top of the pie, leaving small spaces between cutouts for the vent holes.
step 4: Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove pie from oven and brush with 3 tablespoons melted butter. Return to oven and bake an additional 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Place a piece of aluminum foil under the pan in case it boils over.