Moroccan Tagine Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced into rings
- 2 pounds lamb meat, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 pears - peeled, cored and cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup blanched slivered almonds
step 1: Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Fry the onion in the oil until soft. Add the lamb meat to the pan, and fry until just browned on the outside. Season with cumin, coriander, ginger, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Pour just enough water into the pot to cover the meat. Cover, and simmer over low heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until meat is tender and the mixture is stew-like. Displace lid a little after an hour if there appears to be too much liquid.
step 2: Add the pears, golden raisins and almonds to the stew, and cook for another 5 minutes or so, until the pears are soft. Serve with rice.