- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1 cup pitted green olives
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 (1 pound) loaf Italian bread
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced Genoa salami
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced provolone cheese
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
step 1: Combine the kalamata olives, green olives, basil, garlic and oil in a food processor or blender and process until coarsely chopped.
step 2: Cut the top from the bread loaf and hollow out the center so that about 1/2 inch of crust remains. Spread olive mixture evenly over the inside of the loaf. Layer the salami, cheese, tomatoes and onion until the loaf is full.
step 3: Replace top of bread, lightly press down and wrap tightly in plastic wrapping. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or up to 1 day. Slice crosswise in about 1 1/2 inch pieces, and serve.