Mushroom-Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- 1 pound mushrooms (chanterelles, shiitakes, and/or common)
- 1 (8 ounce) onion
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 (10.5 ounce) cans condensed beef consomme
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower
step 1: Rinse mushrooms well; drain. Trim off and discard tough and discolored stem ends, debris, and bruises. Chop mushrooms. Peel and chop onion.
step 2: In a 3- to 4-quart pan over high heat, stir mushrooms, onion, and butter often until mushrooms begin to brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
step 3: Add flour and mix well.
step 4: Remove from heat and stir consomme, sherry, and 1 cup water into pan. Add cauliflower. Return to high heat and bring to a boil; cover pan and simmer until cauliflower is tender when pierced, about 5 minutes.
step 5: In a blender, puree soup, a portion at a time, until smooth. Return to pan and stir over high heat until steaming. Ladle into soup bowls.