Mushroom and Artichoke Soup Recipe
- 4 (14 ounce) cans canned quartered artichoke hearts
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3 pounds thinly sliced shallots
- 3 small red onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1 gallon water
- 6 tablespoons vegetable base
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 6 dried portabella mushrooms, softened in water
- 3 pounds fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 pounds carrots, sliced
- 3/4 cup capers
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
step 1: Place artichokes in a food processor, slice thinly and set aside. It works well when using a 3 millimeter slicing disk.
step 2: Using a extra-large stock pot saute onions, garlic and shallots in olive oil and set on low. Cook for 15 minutes.
step 3: Sprinkle flour over onions and cook for 1 minute. Stir in vinegar and cook for approximately 3 minutes, in order for vinegar to evaporate.
step 4: Stir in water, vegetable base, salt, pepper, cayenne, nutmeg, thyme and sliced artichokes and cook for 25 minutes.
step 5: Add dried mushrooms along with the water they soaked in, fresh mushrooms and carrots. Let cook for 15 minutes.
step 6: Stir in capers and parsley, season with salt and serve.