Nova Scotian Hodge Podge Recipe
- 1 cup fresh green beans, trimmed and snapped
- 1 cup fresh wax beans, trimmed and snapped
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced turnip
- 2 cups cubed new potatoes
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup heavy cream (optional)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ cup water
step 1: Place the green beans, wax beans, carrots and turnips into a saucepan and add enough water to cover the vegetables. Lightly salt the water, and bring to a boil. Cook for about 1/2 hour, then add the potatoes and cook for another 1/2 hour. Stir in butter and if desired, cream.
step 2: Mix together the flour and 1/2 cup water, and pour into the soup. Cook for a few more minutes to thicken. Remove from heat and serve hot.