Ode-to-Chevre Bruschetta Recipe
- 1 baguette (about 2 1/2 in. wide and 24 in. long)
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds firm-ripe tomatoes (see note)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted calamata olives
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, or 1/3 as much dried basil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- Salt and pepper
- 6 ounces fresh chevre (goat cheese)
step 1: Slice baguette on a slight diagonal about 1/3 inch thick; reserve ends for another use. Arrange slices on racks on two baking sheets (each 12 by 15 in.). Brush tops lightly with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Bake in a 425 degree regular or convection oven until lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes.
step 2: Meanwhile, rinse, stem, and core tomatoes. Cut in half crosswise and squeeze out and discard seeds; chop tomatoes. (If not serving immediately, put tomatoes in a strainer or colander to drain.)
step 3: In a bowl, mix remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, the lemon juice, and mustard. Stir in tomatoes, olives, basil, and garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste.
step 4: Spread cheese over one side of each slice of toast. Mound tomato mixture equally on top. Serve at once.