Pasta Carbonara with Asparagus Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups (1-inch) diagonally sliced trimmed asparagus
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces uncooked farfalle (bow tie) pasta
- 2 slices bacon
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped chives (optional)
step 1: Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan; add asparagus. Cook 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain; set aside.
step 2: Combine 2 tablespoons cheese, milk, egg substitute, 2 tablespoons chives, and salt in a small bowl; set aside.
step 3: Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain well; set aside.
step 4: Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Crumble bacon; set aside. Add onion and garlic to bacon drippings in pan; saute 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat; stir in asparagus and bacon.
step 5: Combine pasta, milk mixture, and asparagus in a large bowl; toss well. Divide evenly among 4 shallow bowls; top each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese. Sprinkle with pepper; top with chives, if desired.