Pasta Fagioli II Recipe
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 7 cloves garlic, whole
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cubes chicken bouillon
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, with liquid
- 2 quarts water
- 12 ounces penne pasta
step 1: In a large pot over medium heat pour in olive oil. Saute whole garlic cloves, onion, bacon and red pepper flakes; cook until onion is translucent. Add tomato sauce, basil, oregano, salt and pepper; cook on low for 10 minutes.
step 2: Stir in bouillon cubes, cannellini beans and water; cook for 30 minutes. Remove the 7 whole garlic cloves, discard 3 and crush the remaining 4; return to pot. Add uncooked pasta and continue cooking until pasta is done. Mixture should be slightly soupy. Serve immediately.