Pasta with Mock Creamy Tomato Sauce Recipe
- 16 ounces colored rotini pasta
- 1 (16 ounce) jar roasted red bell peppers
- 9 ounces low-fat, firm silken tofu
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 10 spears asparagus, sliced diagonally
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chile paste (optional)
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
step 1: In a large pot with boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente. Drain well.
step 2: Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor puree roasted red and yellow peppers, tofu, tomato paste, vegetable broth, balsamic vinegar, and Italian seasoning. Set aside.
step 3: Coat a medium saute pan with cooking spray. Cook onion, garlic, and asparagus over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add water if necessary to prevent sticking. Stir in mushrooms; cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender and soft. Stir in tofu sauce, tomatoes, black pepper. Add hot chili paste, if desired. Reduce heat to low, and heat through.
step 4: Toss pasta with sauce, and serve with Parmesan cheese.