Pear Salad I Recipe
- 2 pears - peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 cup port wine
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 cups assorted salad greens
- 1 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
step 1: Preheat the oven's broiler. Arrange pear slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Broil until nicely browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
step 2: Pour port wine into a saucepan. Bring to a boil, and cook until the wine is reduced by 1/2. Remove from the heat and cool. Pour the cooled wine into a blender or food processor, and add the shallots, garlic, mustard, and vinegar. Puree until smooth.
step 3: Divide the salad greens evenly between four serving plates. Arrange some of the broiled pear slices over each pile of greens. Sprinkle with Gorgonzola cheese. Drizzle dressing over each plate, then sprinkle with walnuts. If you like, this can also be made in one large bowl instead of individual servings.