Persian Sabzi Polo (Herb Rice with Fava Beans) Recipe
- 6 cups water
- 4 cups uncooked long-grain white rice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 bunch fresh dill, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups fresh or frozen fava beans
- ground turmeric to taste
- ground cinnamon to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
step 1: In a large saucepan bring water to a boil. Rinse rice; stir into boiling water. Boil just until rice rises to the surface of the water. Drain rice and return it to the saucepan. Stir in the oil and water. Mix in the dill, parsley, cilantro, fava beans, turmeric, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
step 2: Cook the rice over medium heat for 5 minutes.
step 3: Reduce heat to the lowest setting. Cover and simmer for 40 to 45 minutes. Note: It's normal to end up with crispy rice (called Tadig) on the bottom of the pot after cooking; it's delicious.