Pita Love Recipe
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/8 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/8 cup sliced black olives
- 1/8 cup sliced carrots
- 1/8 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 whole wheat pita breads, cut into quarters
- 1/8 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream, for topping
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
step 1: Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute bean sprouts, onions, mushrooms and olives until tender, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low, and add the carrots, celery, ginger, salt and pepper. Cook for a few more minutes to blend the flavors. The carrots and celery should remain crisp. Stir the black beans and sunflower seeds into the skillet, and cook just until heated through. Remove from heat.
step 2: Meanwhile, prop open each pita using a toothpick, place some of the shredded cheese inside, and heat in the microwave for about 30 seconds, or until cheese has melted. Set aside.
step 3: Spoon vegetable mixture into the pita triangles, and remove toothpicks. Garnish with sour cream and chives.