Poached Scallops with Dried-Tomato Orzo Recipe
- 2 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 pound scallops (1 1/2 to 2 in. wide), rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dried tomatoes
- 1/2 pound dried orzo pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves or dried thyme
- Fresh-ground pepper
step 1: In a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over high heat, bring broth and 2 cups water to a boil. Add scallops and simmer just until opaque but still moist-looking in center of thickest part (cut to test), about 5minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer scallops to a bowl; keep warm.
step 2: Add tomatoes and orzo to pan. Stir often over high heat until most of the liquid is absorbed and orzo is tender to bite, 10 to 12 minutes.
step 3: Meanwhile, mix oil, honey, vinegar, and thyme.
step 4: Return scallops (and any juice) to pan and stir gently just until hot, 1 to 2 minutes.
step 5: Spoon orzo and scallops onto plates. Drizzle scallops equally with honey mixture. Season with pepper to taste.