Pork and Hominy Stew Recipe
- 1 (2 pound) pork roast, diced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans white hominy
- 20 dried chile de arbol peppers
- 1 ¼ cups finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 12 corn tortillas, warmed
- 2 limes, quartered
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 ½ cups shredded cabbage
step 1: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add diced pork, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring frequently, until evenly browned.
step 2: Transfer pork to a large pot. Stir in hominy and 3 cups water. Cook over medium heat for 1 hour.
step 3: While pork and hominy are cooking, place chiles in a small saucepan with 2 cups water. Boil for 45 minutes, covered. Drain, and remove stems. Place chiles in a blender with 1/4 cup water, onion, and garlic. Blend until smooth (you may still see seeds). Set aside.
step 4: Serve pork and hominy soup in bowls, garnished with lime juice, cilantro, cabbage. For spicy soup, stir one teaspoon of chile into each bowl of soup.