Portuguese Soup Recipe
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 medium head cabbage, chopped
- 6 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can beef consomme
- 2 ⅔ quarts water
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup vinegar
step 1: In a large pot over medium heat, cook onions in oil until just tender. Stir in sausage and cook 5 minutes more. Place cabbage, potatoes, beans, ketchup, consomme and water in the pot. Season with garlic powder, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 30 to 45 minutes.
step 2: Stir in vinegar and simmer 1 hour more. Add more water if needed.