Prosciutto Fave Minestrone alla Riso Recipe
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ pound bacon, chopped
- ¾ cup diced cooked ham
- 3 large stalks celery, thinly sliced, leaves reserved and chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 1 quart chicken broth
- ⅔ cup brown rice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can cranberry beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, drained
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
step 1: In a large pot over medium heat, cook bacon in olive oil until brown. Stir in ham and cook a few minutes more. Stir in celery (reserve the leaves), onion and carrot and cook until vegetables are tender, 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute more.
step 2: Stir in tomatoes, broth, rice, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes, or until vegetables are soft and rice is nearly tender.
step 3: Stir in cranberry beans and white beans and heat through. Stir in parsley and celery leaves and remove from heat. Serve hot.