Provincial Beef Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds blade roast, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 orange peel, cut into strips
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 large carrots, sliced diagonally
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups pickled pearl onions, drained
- 1 1/2 cups rotini pasta
step 1: Dredge meat lightly with flour. In a large skillet, heat half the oil over medium-high heat. Cook meat in batches, adding more oil as needed, for 6 to 8 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a large ovenproof casserole.
step 2: Drain most of the oil from skillet. Saute garlic and thyme for 1 to 2 minutes, or until garlic is softened. Pour in tomatoes, stock, and vinegar, stirring to scrape up brown bits and mashing tomatoes with fork. Bring to boil, then pour over meat. Add orange juice, bay leaves, orange rind, and pepper. Cover casserole dish.
step 3: Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour.
step 4: Stir in carrots, mushrooms, and onions. Bake for 40 minutes.
step 5: Stir in pasta, and bake for an additional 20 minutes. Remove casserole from the oven, and let stand for 5 minutes. Remove bay leaves and orange rinds. Serve.