Raspberry and Cheese Coffee Cake Recipe
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon or orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter, softened
- 1/4 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
- 1 cup raspberries or thinly sliced apricots or nectarines
- raspberries or thinly sliced apricots or nectarines (optional)
- sifted powdered sugar
step 1: Coat a 9x1-1/2-inch round baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside. In a medium mixing bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, lemon or orange peel, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
step 2: In a medium mixing bowl beat the 3/4 cup granulated sugar and margarine or butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until combined. Add the 1/4 cup egg product and vanilla. Beat on low to medium speed for 1 minute. Alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk to egg mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Pour into prepared pan.
step 3: In a small mixing bowl beat the cream cheese and the 1/4 cup granulated sugar on medium to high speed until combined. Add the 2 tablespoons egg product. Beat until combined. Arrange the 1 cup raspberries, apricots, or nectarines over batter in the pan. Pour cream cheese mixture over all.
step 4: Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool slightly on wire rack. Serve warm. If desired, top with additional fruit. Dust with powdered sugar.