Rice, Asparagus and Cucumber Salad Recipe
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 pound thin asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1 inch
- 1 1/2 cups English cucumber - peeled, seeded and chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill weed
- 4 heads butter lettuce
step 1: In a medium saucepan, bring 1 3/4 cups water to boil. Add rice; return to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Fluff with fork; transfer to bowl. Cool to room temperature.
step 2: Cook asparagus in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, about 1 minute. Drain and rinse with cold water to cool. Cut the asparagus into 1-inch pieces. Add asparagus, cucumber and green onions to rice.
step 3: Whisk together the mustard, sugar, vinegar, dry mustard, oil and chopped dill. Cover salad and dressing separately. Refrigerate until chilled.
step 4: Pour dressing into salad and season with salt and pepper. Line large bowl with lettuce and mound salad in bowl. Garnish with dill sprigs.