Rice Pie Recipe
- 2 cups fresh squeezed tomato juice
- 1 cup beef broth
- ¼ cup butter
- salt to taste
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 cup drained canned peas
- 1 (15 ounce) can carrots, drained
- 1 (17.5 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
step 1: Combine tomato juice, broth, butter or margarine, and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to full boil. Add rice, and cover. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook until liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Stir in peas and carrots.
step 2: Line 9 inch pie plate with 1 pastry sheet. Trim and flute edges. Spread rice mixture into shell. Cut remaining dough into 1/2 inch strips, and place in a crisscross pattern over rice. Trim and flute edges. Brush pastry with egg yolk.
step 3: Bake at 350 degrees F ( 175 degrees C) for 20 minutes.