Ricotta Stuffed Zucchini Boats Recipe
- 8 zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (24 ounce) jar tomato and basil pasta sauce
step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
step 2: Trim ends of zucchini halves, and scoop out seeds and pulp, leaving about 1/2 inch pulp on skins. In a large saucepan, steam zucchini halves in a vegetable steamer over boiling water for about 5 minutes, until tender but firm. Drain, and immediately plunge into a large bowl filled with enough ice water to cover. Allow to cool completely; drain.
step 3: Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Slowly cook and stir onion and garlic until onion is soft. Stir in spinach, and cook about 1 minute, until wilted.
step 4: Transfer spinach mixture to a medium bowl, and mix in ricotta cheese, eggs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Stuff zucchini halves with even amounts of the mixture, and arrange in a large baking dish. Drizzle with remaining butter.
step 5: Bake uncovered in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, until the stuffing is hot and bubbly. Heat tomato sauce in a small saucepan, and spoon over the zucchini half way through baking.