Rocky Mountain Stew Recipe
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds sirloin tips, cubed
- 4 1/3 cups water, divided
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 potatoes, quartered
- 6 carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can tiny whole onions
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas, thawed
step 1: In a large pot over medium heat, cook sirloin in oil until quite brown. Pour 1 cup of water over the meat and drippings and cook, stirring, 2 minutes, until a dark gravy forms. Stir in 3 cups water with the salt, lemon juice, paprika, garlic, sugar, Worcestershire and bay leaf. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 2 1/2 hours.
step 2: Stir potatoes and carrots into simmering stew and cook until tender, 20 minutes.
step 3: Stir in onions. In a small bowl, combine flour with remaining 1/3 cup water. Stir flour mixture into stew and cook until stew thickens. Top with peas just before serving.