Round Steak Sauerbraten Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds top round steak, trimmed and sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (.75 ounce) packet dry brown gravy mix
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper to taste
step 1: Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the sliced meat and brown well. Remove meat. Add the gravy mix and water and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
step 2: Stir in the onion powder, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, ginger, bay leaf and salt, and ground black pepper to taste. Return the meat to the pan, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for one hour, or until meat is tender. Remove bay leaf.
step 3: Note: You could also transfer to a casserole dish and bake covered at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 1/2 hours.