Salad with Prosciutto and Caramelized Pears and Walnuts Recipe
- 2 cups fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 pears - peeled, cored and cut into wedges
- 1 cup walnut halves
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ pound prosciutto, cut into thin strips
- 2 romaine hearts, rinsed and torn
step 1: In a medium saucepan, heat orange juice over medium-high heat, whisking often, until it is reduced by 1/4.
step 2: Add to a blender, along with the vinegar, onion, sugar, wine, salt and pepper, and process until smooth. Then, while blending on a low speed, remove cap and slowly drizzle in the olive oil to emulsify (thicken) the dressing. Chill until ready to use.
step 3: Melt butter in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Saute pears and nuts in butter for 3 minutes. Add sugar and water and cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown and caramelized. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
step 4: In a large bowl, combine prosciutto, lettuce and the pear and walnut mixture. Add vinaigrette and toss to coat. Serve on a large Italian platter. Enjoy!