Sauerkraut Sausage Balls Recipe
- 1 pound spicy ground pork sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (2 ounce) package dried beef, shredded
- 1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained and minced
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 quarts oil for frying
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
step 1: Place spicy ground pork sausage, onion and dried beef in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until sausage is evenly brown and onions are soft, about 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
step 2: Mix sauerkraut, prepared mustard, parsley, cream cheese and garlic salt with the sausage mixture. Cover and chill in the refrigerator approximately 2 hours.
step 3: Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
step 4: Place flour in a small bowl. Blend milk and egg together in another small bowl. Place seasoned bread crumbs in a medium bowl.
step 5: Roll the chilled sausage mixture into 1 inch balls. Dredge sausage balls one at a time in flour, the egg and milk mixture and the bread crumbs.
step 6: In small batches deep fry sausage balls in the preheated oil until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels and serve warm, or freeze for later use.