Sausage Smothered in Red Cabbage Recipe
- 1 small head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 1 pound kielbasa sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces
step 1: Place the cabbage in a large kettle, and add the diced apple, 2 teaspoons of the salt, lemon juice, and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil then simmer, covered, about 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
step 2: In hot butter, saute the onion until golden. Add the onion to the cabbage along with 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, vinegar and sausage. Cook, covered, 20 to 30 minutes until sausage is heated through. To serve, spoon the cabbage onto a heated platter, topping it with the sausage.