Savory Cheese Soup Recipe
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can beer (optional)
- Optional toppings: croutons, popcorn, cooked crumbled bacon, sliced green onions
step 1: In a slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
step 2: Combine flour and water until smooth; stir into soup. Cover and cook on high 30 minutes longer or until soup is thickened.
step 3: Stir in cream cheese and cheddar cheese until blended. Stir in beer if desired. Cover and cook on low until heated through. Serve with desired toppings.