Scrumptious Beef and Potato Casserole Recipe
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flake cereal, crumbled
step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
step 2: In a large skillet over high heat, melt the shortening and quickly brown the ground beef with the onion. Stir in water and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
step 3: In a medium bowl, thoroughly mix the condensed cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, milk, salt and pepper. Set aside.
step 4: Pour meat mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange potatoes over the meat. Pour soup mixture over the potatoes. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese. Top with whole wheat flake cereal.
step 5: Bake in preheated oven, uncovered, for 1 1/2 hours.