Shredded Beef Filling - Machaca Recipe
- 2 quarts water
- 3 pounds boneless beef shoulder clod or chuck roast
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup ORTEGA® Green Chile Picante Sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon ORTEGA® Diced Jalapenos
step 1: COMBINE water, beef and quartered onion in large stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is very tender. Remove beef. Strain broth; reserve 1 cup for meat filling (remaining broth may be refrigerated or frozen for future use). Shred beef.
step 2: HEAT vegetable oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add shredded meat, reserved broth, picante sauce, cilantro and jalapenos. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 to 5 minutes or until heated through.
step 3: USE filling in burritos, tacos, tamales or tostadas.