Shrimp and Shallot Newburg Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 8 ounces shallots, peeled and slivered lengthwise
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or madeira
- Salt and white or black pepper
- 4 slices firm-textured white bread
- 1 pound shelled cooked tiny shrimp, thawed if frozen
step 1: Melt butter in a 4- to 5-quart pan over medium-high heat; add shallots and stir often until limp, about 3 minutes.
step 2: Sprinkle flour over shallots and stir until well mixed, about 1 minute. Whisk in milk and stir until mixture boils and thickens, about 5 minutes. Add sherry and salt and pepper to taste; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, to blend flavors, about 5 minutes.
step 3: Meanwhile, toast bread; trim off and discard crusts if desired. Rinse and drain shrimp. Add shrimp to sauce and stir often just until simmering again, about 2 minutes.
step 4: Set a slice of toast on each plate. Spoon hot shrimp Newburg equally over toast.