Shrimp over Cheese Grits Recipe
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 3/4 cups hominy grits
- 6 ounces processed cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 Vidalia onions, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce (optional)
step 1: Combine the water and cream in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, and stir in the grits. When the grits start to thicken, stir in the processed cheese, and simmer, stirring occasionally until grits are thick and ready to eat, about 10 minutes.
step 2: While you are waiting on the grits, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the green and red peppers with the onion and garlic. When the grits are almost done, add the shrimp to the saute mixture, and cook for about 5 more minutes, or just until the shrimp is cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
step 3: Serve the cheese grits with a generous helping of the shrimp saute over them. Add a dash of hot pepper sauce for heat if you like.