Sicilian Eggplant Dip Recipe
- 1 medium eggplant (1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 loaf French bread (baguette)
- olive oil
- fresh thyme (optional)
step 1: Peel eggplant, if desired, and cut into 1/4-inch cubes. (You should have about 5 cups.) In a large skillet heat olive oil; add eggplant and onion. Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat about 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes, red wine, vinegar, capers, salt, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until liquid is evaporated. Cool slightly; cover and chill at least 3 hours.
step 2: Before serving, slice baguettes; brush cut sides with a little olive oil. Arrange slices in a single layer on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil a few inches from heat for 2 to 3 minutes, turning once. Serve with eggplant dip. Garnish dip with fresh thyme, if desired.