Skillet Tamale Pie Recipe
- 1 (8 ounce) onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 pound ground lean (7% fat) beef or turkey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans salt-free diced tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 (2.25 ounce) can sliced black ripe olives, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
step 1: In an 11- to 12-inch ovenproof frying pan (2 to 3 in. deep, 2 1/2- to 3-quart capacity) over high heat, stir onion, beef, chili powder, and cumin seeds until beef is crumbled and lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes.
step 2: Add tomatoes (including juices), corn, and olives; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add salt to taste.
step 3: Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together egg, egg white, 1/2 cup cheese, milk, cornmeal, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt until well blended (mixture will be thin). Pour evenly over hot meat mixture. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1 cup cheese.
step 4: Bake in a 400 degree regular or convection oven until the top feels firm when lightly touched, about 15 minutes. Scoop out servings with a large spoon. Add salt to taste.