Slovak Sauerkraut Christmas Soup Recipe
- 1 (32 ounce) package sauerkraut, chopped
- 2 ½ quarts chicken broth
- 6 black peppercorns
- 4 bay leaves
- salt to taste
- 2 cups dried forest mushroom blend
- ¾ pound Hungarian style dry paprika sausage
- ¾ pound smoked ham
- ¾ cup chopped pitted prunes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sour cream
step 1: Place the sauerkraut, chicken broth, peppercorns, bay leaves, salt and mushrooms into a large pot, and bring to a boil. Add the sausage and whole piece of ham. Let it simmer over medium heat for 1 1/2 hours. Add the prunes after the first hour.
step 2: Remove the meat from the soup, and set aside. Remove bay leaves, and discard.
step 3: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, and fry until clear. Sprinkle the flour and paprika over the onion; cook and stir for a minute. Gradually stir in the water with a fork so that no lumps form. Bring to a boil, and allow to thicken. Pour into the soup pot. Cube the sausage and ham, and stir into the soup. Bring to a boil, and cook for another 10 minutes.
step 4: To serve, ladle into bowls, and top with a dollop of sour cream.