Slow-Simmered Kidney Beans Recipe
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 pound fully cooked Polish sausage or kielbasa, chopped
- 4 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 medium unpeeled red apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
step 1: In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels.
step 2: Add sausage to drippings; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
step 3: In an ungreased 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the beans, tomatoes, red peppers, onion, ketchup, brown sugar, honey, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, salt and mustard. Stir in the bacon and sausage. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
step 4: Stir in apples. Cover and cook 2 hours longer or until bubbly.