Slow Cooker Hoppin' John Chowder Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups instant white rice
- 1 pound ground beef sirloin
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 (15.5 ounce) cans black-eyed peas with liquid
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1/2 cup water, or as needed
step 1: Prepare rice according to package instructions, and set aside. Meanwhile, combine the ground sirloin, green pepper and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently, and crumbling beef until no longer pink. Drain off grease.
step 2: Place the rice and beef mixture into a 5 quart slow cooker. Add the black-eyed peas, beef broth, diced tomatoes with green chilies and enough water to cover everything.
step 3: Cover, and cook on Low for 4 to 6 hours.